Why? A commonsense approach to interpersonal skills: work & socially. And it gave birth to a global training business in leadership and sales skills.
My Book: The One to One Future - Don Peppers and Martha Rogers
Why? I read this back in the late '90s (ouch!) and it had a major impact on my (professional services) world. As a result, we formalised account management, nowadays we'd say ABM but without the tech to enable it. We also started using very carefully targeted telemarketing (radical in a Big Four accountancy firm at the time), which brought in a lot of business.
My Book: "What Color Is Your Parachute?"
Why? I read it during 5 days in Bermuda! It makes you reflect on what your ideal job and working environment would be and helped me to figure out my next career move after 18 years in marketing.
Why? He chases our invoices! Only joking - it's smart tactics for overcoming the problem people in your life.
My Book: Who Moved My Cheese
Why? My parents gave me a copy of it on my 16th Birthday and it's been a book that I've picked up a few times since then. It reminds me not to over complicate things and to take ownership of my own life and keep moving forward.
Why? I'm not a fan of business books and generally find that I can draw work inspiration from any type of books - fiction, biographies etc. I recently read The Spy and the Traitor by historian Ben Macintyre. It's the true story of how MI6 smuggled their most highly prized spy out of Soviet Russia. What you can learn about dedication, team-work, focus and problem-solving from this story is greater than you'll find in any business book. Plus it's a far more exciting read.
My Book: The Novel of Liars, Lunch and Lost Knickers.
Why? This sums up my sunny days in advertising and definitely worth reading by any new entrants into that world although think it’s a little more sanitised now!
My Book: Das Trendbuck by Matthias Horx
Why? It was hugely influential for me when I started my career.
My Book: Business Classic - The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, first published in 1989, is a business and self-help book written by Stephen Covey.
Why? The purpose of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is to help you lead your life in a truly effective way. They represent a proven process of personal and interpersonal growth that can have an immediate and lasting impact.
This was required reading working when I worked with P&G and I know people who resigned their job, moved countries or changed their career path after reading this.
Here are the key insights from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People :
1. Sharpen the saw. Don’t work yourself to death. Strive for a sustainable lifestyle that affords you time to recuperate, recharge and be effective in the long-term.
2. Be proactive. You have a natural need to wield influence on the world around you so don’t spend your time just reacting to external events and circumstances. Take charge and assume responsibility for your life.
3. Begin with an end in mind. Don’t spend your life working aimlessly, tackling whatever job is at hand. Have a vision for the future and align your actions accordingly to make it into a reality.
4. Put first things first. To prioritize your work, focus on what’s important, meaning the things that bring you closer to your vision of the future. Don’t get distracted by urgent but unimportant tasks.
5. Think win-win. When negotiating with other, don’t try to get the biggest slice of the cake, but rather find a division that is acceptable to all parties. You will still get your fair share, and build strong positive relationships in the process.
6. Seek first to understand, then to be understood. When someone presents us with a problem, we often jump right to giving a solution. This is a mistake. We should first take time to really listen to the other person and only then make recommendations.
7. Synergize. Adopt the guiding principle that in a group, the contributions of many will far exceed those of any individual. This will help you achieve goals you could never have reached on your own.
If you're at the top of your game, our tailored executive service is for you. We have a consultant in each of our sector teams who is dedicated to recruiting the most senior marketing and digital professionals.find out more